Friday, April 2, 2010

Crocheted Prayer Shawl (EDITED) (Twice)

This has already been on the main blog, but this is the reason I started thinking that we needed a blog just for crafts. So, I'm posting it on here.

It's not strictly a prayer shawl, the original pattern called it a wrap but I have also seen this pattern in a book of prayer shawl patterns. I do use it at church, but it's a multi-use shawl.



It's folded up here. It's almost a mile of yarn, I measured. I used two different colors, both are by Lion Brand which is one of my favorite yarn brands. This is chunky weight yarn.



Chunky weight is a larger yarn than most. It's easy to work with and I'm pleased with the way it turned out. This particular yarn is probably acrylic, I don't remember beyond the fact that it is not wool.
You can see how wide it is in this picture. I'm pretty tall, each color is two rows and there are 15 sets of each so it's 30 rows wide.

I made it a little longer than the original pattern, because I wanted it long enough to at least reach my legs. I get very cold in church and this shawl is very warm. EDIT: I'm glad I made it so long, because Otter has taken to borrowing quite a bit of it to cover her arms and legs in church - it does get cold in there and she seems very glad when I take it! And she says that it is very warm.

The original pattern called for it to be made in two pieces, left half & right half. But they were to be joined in a way that the join would be invisible and the rows would match. So I just made it the size I wanted in one piece. With some shawls, they look better if they are divided in the middle but that is mostly determined by the shape. This one is essentially a long rectangle, as opposed to the triangular shape of most shawls. If I wanted to have the row colors alternate on each half, I could make it in two pieces but I wasn't impressed with the way that would work. At least not with this yarn and these colors.

It was an easy project and one I really enjoyed. It's a combination of three different stitches and it went pretty fast.

(Second edit:  This was donated to Goodwill after a while.  It was just too big.  Next time, I'm not letting Billyboy decide the size!).

No comments: