Friday, January 1, 2016

Fabric Material Covered Mouse Pad Mat Mousepad Mousemat

This was actually a very easy project.  It just took a few minutes start to finish.

I started with a cheap mouse pad, which cost less than $2.00.


I bought a small package of Heat N Bond.  Make sure you get the iron on kind!


It cost less than $2.00 as well.



Sorry the picture is sideways.  We have 2 irons and boards, one is for clothing and one is strictly for crafting.  That is not a necessary step, but it's easier not to have to worry about adhesive, etc., getting stuck on the iron and then transferring to the clothing.  Same thing for the board, we have a tabletop board which we use with the craft iron.  The craft iron is actually one that I've used for years to iron clothing but it's getting old and I bought a new one before the old one actually conks out since I've had that happen before.


I bought crochet printed fabric a while back, I've used it for a couple of things now.  I'm not sure what the cost is because I bought it several months ago and also I bought a lot because I've had things not be available when I wanted to get more.  It's cotton fabric, which has not been washed because of the types of projects I've used it for.  If it's for an actual sewing or clothing related project, then it would need to be washed first.  But so far, my projects have needed it to still be slightly stiff. 


You'll want to cut a piece of fabric slightly larger than the mouse pad.


The Heat N Bond will also need to be cut larger, I used the fabric as a template so it would be the right size but the fabric can be a little larger.

Place the Heat N Bond ADHESIVE SIDE DOWN ON THE BACK OF THE FABRIC, THE PAPER BACKING ON THE HEAT N BOND NEEDS TO BE FACING YOU.  Then just follow the directions on the package, in this case it was to warm the iron mid-way (no steam) and then place the iron down for 2 seconds and hold it at a slight pressure, then move it to the next section until the entire piece has been ironed.  At this point, you might need to put a napkin or piece of scrap material down so that the adhesive won't stick to the ironing board cover if it exceeds the size of the fabric you are using.  Let it cool completely, it will just take a few minutes.


Peel the backing off, it should come off easily and the back of the fabric will have a slight shiny appearance.


Then when the fabric piece has cooled down, lay it over the TOP SIDE of the mouse pad - be sure to put the adhesive down AND THE FRONT OR RIGHT SIDE OF THE FABRIC NEEDS TO BE FACING YOU.  I put the backing that came off of the Heat N Bond down underneath the mouse pad to protect the ironing board fabric cover.  Then follow the directions on the package again, in this case it was to hold the iron down for 6 seconds then move it over until the entire piece had been exposed to the hot iron.  Because this was a rubber piece and I didn't want it to melt, I counted to 6 seconds exactly and then lifted the iron to move it over.  I let it cool for a minute or so, then I flipped it over so that the back of the mouse pad was facing me.


I checked it gently at the corner and it looked like the fabric was adhered, if it isn't stuck down then just give it a few more seconds with the hot iron.


Then it was just a matter of cutting the excess fabric off.  I used a pair of very sharp scissors, but you could use an X-acto knife or similar sharp blade.  But you'll need to be sure you have it against a hard surface before you take a blade to it.  The excess fabric needs to be cut off right against the edge of the mouse pad.


Here's the finished product!  It was very easy to do and it works perfectly with my optical mouse.  This would make a great gift and it could be personalized to the person you wanted to give it to.

No comments: