Saturday, April 23, 2016

Spring Yarn Wreath Butterfly Butterflies Felt Flower Flowers

Major tendonitis issues at the moment in my right arm, so crochet is temporary not happening.

But I still find things to do!

This is the 2nd yarn wreath I've made.

I started with a styrofoam wreath.


I wrapped it with yarn.  I put a piece of double sided tape on the back of the wreath and that holds the yarn end in place for the first few wrap rounds.  As the yarn is wrapped, it has to be pulled tight periodically and also slipped down against the yarn that is already wrapped.  It needs to be snug so that there are no open spots where the wreath form shows through.


I decided to use felt for the decoration on this wreath.  Because I wanted flowers and a spring feel, I used several different colors.  I did not use all the colors that I bought, my flowers were originally going to be different and have leaves but I changed my mind on that.  I'm sure I'll find a use for it later on!


Probably any glue will work but I bought actual felt glue.



I found a stencil that had a flower shape I liked.



Because I wanted to use the shape as a pattern, I drew the petals and then I also drew the interior circle so that it would be one piece and also the inner circle so I would have a reference point for the hot glue later on.


Trim carefully and use sharp scissors!


I flipped it over because I did not want the lines to show!


I used three different sizes from the stencil.


I staggered the pieces largest to small and made sure that the edges were not even.  Then I used the felt glue to stick the layers together.


I also cut small circles out of yellow felt for the centers of my flowers.


I was originally going to make felt butterflies but I decided to go with feather butterflies instead.  They had wire sticks on the bottom but I pulled the wires out.


The next step was to get out the glue gun!

I placed the flowers on the wreath first and rearranged them until they were where I wanted them.


I glued each one on, one at a time and did not move the rest of them while I was gluing so that they would go on where I wanted them to.  Also, you could take a picture (cell phone or digital camera) to refer to while gluing.  The glue went on the back of the flowers in the center - which is where the center outlines were.


After the flowers were glued, I used the same process with the butterflies.


Sometimes butterflies are solitary bugs but my butterflies were a flock!


I may decide to get a ribbon in a green color similar to the yarn and attach it at the back with the glue gun as a hanger, but for the moment it's done!


No comments: